Atrophic dermatitis — 3-stage disease, which requires complex treatment
Features of the atrophic dermatitis
The above-mentioned disease is not accompanied by the usual symptoms such as rashes and itching. They are limited only by a change in pigmentation, bluish-red and purple spots appear. This fact does not mean that the disease is less dangerous than other types of dermatitis. On the contrary, it causes pathologies that can take a severe form. In this regard, you can’t delay the treatment and consult a doctor immediately.
The disease develops in three stages:
It is highly undesirable to ignore doctor help at the first suspicions because such a careless attitude to own health leads to a chronic form. The patient begins to experience pain, a feeling of coldness, which signals about the development of skin atrophy processes.
People who have experienced severe illness, are engaged in heavy physical labor without proper rest, pregnant women, people who have hereditary features, those, who rapidly lose weight are at greatest risk of getting sick.
Skin atrophy can develop locally in such areas:
- On the face, in particular, the cheeks. Typical for teenagers.
- White scars on the legs. Most often observed in women.
- The back area is affected.
- Fuzzy spots throughout the body.
На фото атрофический дерматит на руке:
Causes and symptoms of atrophic dermatitis
Each organism is unique in its own way. This is reflected in the nature of atrophic dermatitis’ course, which arises from external and internal influences.
External (exogenous) causes:
- Mechanical skin trauma (bruises, cuts, wounds) provokes inflammatory processes.
- When contacting the skin, aggressive chemicals (chemical burns) violate its integrity, creating fertile soil for the occurrence of pathology in the form of atrophic dermatitis.
- Dry air.
- Adverse environmental conditions.
- Genetic predisposition. If one or both parents suffered from this kind of pathology, the probability of disease inheriting for their children increases accordingly.
- Vitamin A deficiency and other nutrients.
- Weak immunity.
- Circulatory dysfunction.
It is worth noting that only in cases of exogenous factors relapses can occur. They are absent for endogenous type, but this doesn’t mean that such a disease is less dangerous. It is unpleasant because it practically doesn’t cure completely, but throughout life it makes itself felt with aggravations and regress.
Doctors also admit that atrophic dermatitis occurs due to prolonged use of corticosteroids, nervous overloads, stresses.
There are cases when the reasons listed above do not matter in the appearance of the disease. Sometimes it occurs suddenly, is called idiopathic, or is associated with the natural aging process, which is called involutional atrophoderma.
Atrophoderma is determined by the characteristic symptoms, but the degree and nature of the epithelium lesion necessarily take into account. After all, the clinical picture of the disease may differ, depending on the stage and individual characteristics of the patient.
The main symptoms include:
- The appearance of red spots with purple or blue shades.
- Swelling, fever, burning, tightness of the skin.
- Thinning of the skin, limpidity, sagging due to an increase in the number of folds and compaction of the mesh layer and hypodermis.
Due to the violation of the skin structure, in particular, its depletion, arteries, and veins are visible through it.
На фото симптомы атрофического дерматита, который требует комплексного лечения:
Not only dermatologists, pediatricians, but also allergists, gastroenterologists, and other specialized doctors are involved in the diagnosis of such a complex disease. But first, the attending physician collects anamnesis. To do so, he needs to get answers to the next questions:
- The time of the first signs’ occurrence.
- Identify the cause of the disease.
- Get information about the nature of the physical activity of the patient.
- Figure the presence of pain in the process of the affected area’s palpation.
- Do relatives have signs of atrophic dermatitis?
Depending on the responses received and the stage of the disease, the diagnosis continues in the direction of laboratory research. The patient also undergoes dermatoscopy and biopsy, which will allow specifying the clinical picture, and eventually approve or deny the preliminary diagnosis.
How to get rid of atrophic dermatitis?
Considering the complexity and likelihood of dangerous complications, the treatment is carried out comprehensively, using different methods and techniques. It is very important to remind you that treatment on your own is strictly prohibited, constant medical supervision is needed here.
The treatment course is developed separately for each patient, it contains the following directions:
- Taking drugs that increase the protective function of the body.
- External pharmacological agents are prescribed in individual cases.
- Vitamin therapy is needed to restore the balance of useful elements.
- Thermal physiotherapy procedures are used to revitalize the cell regeneration process.
- Special massages.
- Healing fitness is necessary for stabilization of blood circulation (the complex is developed individually for each patient).
- Resort treatment is a form of recreational therapy, which includes the passage of health procedures, such as baths, mud procedures.
It is important to know that atrophic dermatitis brings a person not only discomfort from unpleasant appearance and non-aesthetic-looking formations on the body. It is fraught with consequences like the irreversible process of cell death. That is why doctors warn about this danger and advise not to delay treatment so that it is not too late.
Preventive measures, forecasts
When you’re dealing with atrophic dermatitis the next medical recommendations should be carried out:
- Visit a doctor at the first symptoms.
- The correct selection of cosmetics on the advice of a beautician.
- Avoid mechanical damage to the skin.
- To prevent contact with aggressive irritants of household chemicals or other chemicals in the relevant professional activity.
- Keep your body warm.
- Do not expose yourself to unnecessary physical exertion, periodically give the body a rest.
- Get good nutrition, it is desirable to use a therapeutic diet, developed with the help of a nutritionist.
- Strict adherence to the doctor’s instructions, taking into account the sequence of actions.
Doctors do not recommend using folk remedies for such a complex ailment. You should not take up the preparation of herbal potions without medical recommendations. Such an act can lead to a worsening of the situation and to such consequences that will be difficult to handle even with the help of a doctor.
As for the forecasts, they are poor in the case of severe chronic forms, especially if the body is genetically predisposed to atrophic dermatitis. You can only partially get rid of the symptoms. They can return again after a certain time.
If the disease is caused by external stimuli, the main thing is to get rid of them. In the absence of provocative factors, you can count on recovery. To ensure that the guarantees are more durable, do not underestimate the adoption of preventive measures.