Venous stasis dermatitis — disease specifics and treatment
The disease is characterized as chronic, it is difficult to get rid of it completely. The patient has to periodically consult a doctor and undergo another course of treatment.
The disease progresses at a slow pace, its speed depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. If there is a hereditary trait or a person leads a lifestyle that promotes stagnation of the venous duct, the disease does not take long.
Regarding the severity therapeutic or surgical methods of getting rid of the disease can be applied.
Venous stasis dermatitis (also called simply stasis dermatitis) is a secondary ailment because it occurs against the background of the existing varicose veins on the legs. Less commonly, other parts of the body can be affected. Dermatitis is distributed in places of the expanded veins. If you do not make timely treatment, the disease is exacerbated, the structure of the skin is disturbed, trophic ulcers appear, which are practically not cured.
На фото варикозный дерматит нижних конечностей с трофическими язвами:
Classification according to ICD-10 — I83.1 Varicose veins of lower extremities with inflammation.
The reason for the physiological is the pathological feature of the venous walls and valves. Monotonous work with the excessive load on the legs, pregnancy, childbirth, increased body weight can play a part as external causes.
In the case of a venous disorder, the supply of necessary nutrition to the skin fails, which provokes the inflammatory process, resulting in venous dermatitis. In the process of development, it can turn into lipodermatosclerosis or trophic ulcers.
Main causes leading to VSD:
- Venous insufficiency of chronic nature.
- Thyroid dysfunction.
- Veins injuries.
- Harmful effects of the environment.
- Nervous overload, stressful situations.
- Pathology of the circulatory system, interruptions in the work of the heart.
- Genetic anomalies.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Excessive physical exertion on the legs.
VSD is characteristic of adults who have accumulated problems with blood circulation over the years, have become overweight, and the activity of blood vessels is weakened.
Stasis dermatitis is easier and faster to treat on the early stages. A severe form of varicose veins, obesity can cause trophic ulcers.
На фото тяжелая форма варикозного дерматита, лечение не предусматривает положительного исхода:
The disease is divided into 2 types: irritable and allergic.
Symptoms of illness are characteristic of each stage:
– at the first stage, the patient feels heaviness in the legs, in the evening there is a strong swelling;
– the capillary mesh (red-violet) becomes noticeable, large veins stand out, pain occurs during physical exertion;
– at the next stage, when lymph current fails, the skin becomes bluish, painful, hot, excessively dry and constantly itching;
– brown spots are localized on reddening places, scales are formed on them, peeling is observed. Convulsive phenomena begin, the sensitivity of the limbs is somewhat lost. Destructive processes are progressing on the skin, it exfoliates, bubbles, and the fluid accumulates in the cavities;
– the presence of chronic varicose veins gives fertile ground for the emergence of trophic ulcers, which can become large. Suppurations cause intoxication of the patient.
– except for the lower extremities, the VD can affect the face, neck, groin area;
– if symptoms appear in the groin or on the neck, it is easy to get the infection due to constant scratching.
One of the unpleasant consequences of the disease is depression, caused by pain, itching and negative emotions.
The principles of VSD diagnosis are not specific to this disease. There are no special methods for determining this particular type of illness. The diagnosis is made on the basis of the collected necessary information by visual examination, questioning the patient, and a detailed study of the history.
You can clarify the preliminary diagnosis with the help of laboratory tests. If an infection is suspected, fluid is sown from blisters or ulcers to determine the cause of infection. With the allergic nature of the disease, the specialist conducts a test in order to know for sure which allergen is an irritating factor. The Doppler vascular scan data complements the clinical picture.
It should be noted that VSD occurs in people in different ways, depending on the individual characteristics of the organism. On the one hand, this may introduce some difficulties in diagnosing, on the other hand, the external symptoms of venous stasis dermatitis are so obvious that it is almost impossible to confuse it with another disease.
The treatment of VSD is carried out in parallel with the treatment of varicose veins. These diseases are so closely intertwined that the doctor is developing a generalized treatment program. To get rid of both diseases, it is necessary to stabilize the lymph and blood flow, to conduct therapy to strengthen the walls of blood vessels. The doctor will tell you how to treat stasis dermatitis. These measures are, first of all, medicines of internal and external use:
– at the first stage or at the first suspicions of the ailment occurrence, it is recommended to apply moisturizing creams containing panthenol to prevent excessive dryness of the skin in problem areas;
– strengthening vessels and pain relief tablets are prescribed: Troxerutin, Venarus, Phlebodia, Daflon. In the form of ointments: Venoruton, Venozol, Ginkor gel.
– stabilize blood flow, relieve inflammation, prevent the occurrence of blood clots: Venobene, Hepatrombin;
– Voltaren, Diclofenac, Heparin, Indomethacin act as anti-inflammatory agents;
– in case of the severe form, hormonal ointments are prescribed: Fluorocort, Flucort-N, Depo-Medrol, Celestoderm V, Lorinden;
– trophic ulcers are lubricated with healing agents: Bepanthen, Naftaderm, Levoxin, Dioxysol, Levomecol;
– antibiotics are prescribed if it is necessary to beat bacteria, after conducting a susceptibility test for a particular drug;
– sedatives and histamine remedies are recommended for allergic forms caused by increased emotionality, over-excited state, and insomnia. These are herbal tinctures (peony, valerian, hawthorn, motherwort), Zyrtec, Suprastin and Fenistil;
– Antiseptic Dorogov’s Stimulator (ASD) is used for problems with the formation of blood clots.
In order to activate lymphatic drainage, patients with VSD are advised to wear compression stockings.
The appearance of trophic ulcers compels the use of surgical methods since therapeutic methods do not give the desired effect.
The patient undergoes a thorough examination in order to exclude the possible risks that he may undergo during the surgical procedure.
The essence of the surgery is the excision of necrotic tissue, removal of the enlarged portion of the vein. A timely operation will prevent serious consequences — the transition of trophic ulcers to the chronic form. The patient in this state receives the status of disability, his physical abilities are significantly reduced.
People suffering from the venous stasis dermatitis are referred to a phlebologist, who specializes in physiotherapeutic methods of treatment.
Physical procedures have a supporting effect, help to recover from a therapeutic and surgical course:
- Laser therapy.
- Oxygen baths.
- Magnet therapy.
- Ozone therapy.
Hirudotherapy with the use of leeches has been widely used for hundreds of years and has not lost its popularity to this day. Blood-sucking protozoa make the body free from accumulations of blood, thereby eliminating the formation of blood clots, stabilize blood flow.
Medicines invented by the people, whose prescriptions are passed on from generation to generation, have a tremendous effect in the treatment of VSD.
It is simple to prepare such a drug. 50 g of chestnuts and 500 ml of vodka are mixed and left in a place protected from the sun for 1 week. It is enough to drink 10 drops before meals twice a day and after 7-10 days the result will be noticeable.
The tincture is prepared in the same way as previous, only infused 2 times longer. Drink 20 drops before eating at breakfast and lunch.
During the week, infuse crushed garlic (250 g) with bee honey (350 g). Enough to take 1 tsp. before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Treatment length is about 30 days.
A bandage with a fresh cabbage leaf is worn for 2-3 days, after which the leaf is changed. Continue treatment for 2-3 weeks.
Cut along the aloe leaf and attach to the sore spot inside. This plant heals wounds well.
Chop the leaves of a houseplant, put it in a container (0.5 l) to the top, pour 40-degree vodka, leave for 7 days in the dark. Shake and pass through the filter before external use.
Expectations for a full recovery are predicted only in the first stage of the disease. Therefore, it is important to timely contact a medical facility.
На фото симптомы, предшествующие возникновению варикозного дерматита:
Unfortunately, when it came to the formation of trophic ulcers, the question of recovery remains open. Warranties will not be given even by the most highly qualified specialist. The chronic form of VSD makes itself felt throughout life from the onset of the disease. After a slight remission, an exacerbation may occur again, which can lead to disability.
The complication is accompanied by serious pathologies, atrophy, tissue hypertrophy, growths in the form of warts and trophic ulcers. All these formations not only cause excruciating pains but also spoil the appearance, which negatively affects the emotional state.
Ideally, you need to think about the prevention of VSD at a young age, keep an active lifestyle, try to balance the load on the legs. Playing sports, walking and daily jogging are important elements of preventive measures. Well-trained muscles contribute to active blood circulation, which is the main condition that prevents the appearance of blood clots.
A healthy diet involves obtaining the necessary micronutrients and vitamins, a minimum of sugar, flour products, and fatty foods. After all, excess weight is one of the main factors for VSD emergence. The diet should consist of foods that contain rutin, like sweet pepper, buckwheat, chokeberry.
Do not get involved in bad habits to ensure your endocrine and circulatory system are stably functioning.
Do not use regular soap when washing your feet. The washing agent should not contain alkali.
People who have the first symptoms of VSD should change their clothes, exclude synthetic materials, and prefer shoes made of genuine leather. They have to be comfortable, with a low heel, in case not to provoke injuries.