Viral dermatitis – symptoms, photo, therapy, forecast
In each case, viral dermatitis (VD) is considered from a special perspective, taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism and determining the type of virus.
The infection may be external when it occurs directly through the skin. Internal — when exposed to pathogens that enter the body with water or food. This is followed by an incubation period. Infected microflora enters the bloodstream, disperses in all tissues. Doctors have not yet found the exact etiology of the disease, an explanation of why the skin becomes the target of a viral infection. Although many theories have already been proved, confirming the causes of VD.
In ICD-10, the ailment is classified by code: L30.3.
As for dermatitis caused by the herpes virus, it is indicated as ICD-10 / A00-B99 Chapter I Certain infectious and parasitic diseases / B00-B09 Viral infections characterized by skin and mucous membrane lesions / B00 Herpesviral [herpes simplex] infections.
Viral dermatitis often occurs as the result of the destructive processes in the human body. This disease gives a kind of signal about serious violations of internal organs and systems.
Medical researchers have identified a number of common causes that lead to the VD:
- Complications after suffering severe infection ailments. Such diseases include chronic, acute tonsillitis, pneumonia, scarlet fever. After potent drugs treatment, including antiviral and antibacterial agents, the immune system becomes extremely weak. While competing with a serious illness, the body exhausts its protective resources. The skin begins to react and it seems to be included in the struggle against the virus. But skin itself appears under attack, receiving a lesion in the form of VD symptoms.
- Stress states contribute to the depletion of the internal adaptive level, as a result of which immune functions weaken and the person becomes easy prey for a viral infection.
- Contact with irritants that can cause burns, frostbite, and mechanical effects that provoke wounds, cuts, and other violations of the integrity of the skin. Thus, there is the possibility of easy penetration into the blood of VD pathogens.
- Due to sexually transmitted diseases.
- Due to phlebeurysm.
In addition, VD can provoke such factors:
- Ignoring the rules of personal hygiene.
- Alcohol addiction (weakened immunity).
- Digestive upset.
- Immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
- Dysfunction of internal organs and systems.
- Prolonged use of corticosteroids and immunosuppressants.
- Malfunctions of the endocrine system, liver and/or kidneys.
- Circulatory failure.
- The use of products that do not contain vitamins, macro-and micronutrients necessary for health.
The virus can enter the body in various ways: parenterally, by airborne droplets, through the oral cavity with food and liquid. In children, most often this happens because of their habit of pulling everything in their mouths, and among such items, there may be some infected with a virus.
The disease manifests itself in acute form or becomes chronic.
На фото основные симптомы вирусного дерматита у взрослых:
The symptoms of the disease have the same characteristics in children and adult patients. It is only worth noting that babies have more troubles with VD tolerance and more difficulties with treatment. There are many types of disease, but they are united by common symptoms:
- Severe itching in the infection area.
- Erythema. This symptom distinguishes VD from other dermatitis types.
- Skin rash on the face, hair parts, groin, other moving parts of the body.
- Peeling (desquamation) – overdried skin as a result of the sebaceous glands functions’ weakening.
Sometimes, regarding the characteristics of individual patients, there may be additional signs:
- General weakness.
- The appearance of heat.
- Excessive irritability.
At the stage of initial external examination, the doctor makes a preliminary diagnosis.
Viral dermatitis can manifest itself in the following forms:
- Measles affects the face, ears, upper torso. A rash can spread throughout the body, including the arms and legs. Small pink papules often merge. The color of the affected skin turns red. After a day, the rash acquires a brown tinge, pigmentation changes, sometimes greenish or brown shades are noticeable.
- Rubella is a red rash all over the body, especially in the neck and face. Lymphadenitis and hyperthermia can be observed. Rashes appear in the form of oval spots. After 2 days, the skin lesions become barely noticeable and after 1-2 days they completely disappear.
- In the case of chickenpox, rashes can spread over the entire surface of the skin, capturing the hair part of the head. Red papules with clear liquid appear. After dissection, dry crusts are formed.
- Enterovirus infection spreads over the arms, legs, and torso. The rash passes after 3 days.
- Scarlet fever is a thick papular small rash with a bluish tinge. The rash begins with the armpits, groin area. Then the back, abdomen, hips, elbows are covered.
- Scabies affects hands, especially fingers, shoulders, abdomen, thighs (inner part), buttocks. There are noticeable double tracks on the skin. This fact makes scabies easier to diagnose.
- Typhus fever with clearly defined edging appears on the mammary glands, stomach, hands. A change in pigmentation is observed after a few days.
- Syphilis is characterized by the occurrence of nodules, spots, ulcers.
After the initial examination, the doctor reveals clear signs, analyzes the characteristics of the symptoms. After interviewing the patient, the doctor receives the necessary information regarding the causes of infection, the presence of other specific VD factors.
На фото вирусный дерматит у детей, показано комплексное лечение:
Due to the fact that this skin disease can be easily confused with others, in particular, with psoriasis, it is necessary to differentiate it right. An incorrect diagnosis can lead to a worsening of the condition because the nature of these ailments is just the opposite. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease, and no antiviral drugs are prescribed here.
To distinguish between these diseases, you should pay attention to the similarities and differences between them:
- Psoriasis is characterized by the presence of plaques with a whitish coating. In the case of VD, such formations are absent.
- Itching and dryness are characteristic of both ailments, but in the case of psoriasis, itching causes pain.
- With psoriasis, the affected skin exfoliates, with VD this can happen only when the form is severe and the patient is not engaged in treatment.
- Viral dermatitis does not affect the nails and mucous membranes of the eye, unlike psoriasis.
The doctor complements the information obtained from the laboratories to the collected anamnesis. Blood, urine tests, bacterial scraping from painful areas of the body are added.
For a more accurate diagnosis, a dermatologist also uses virological and serological methods. With special difficulties of diagnosis, he can refer to histological studies.
На фото вирусный дерматит, симптомы у детей:
For successful treatment, it is necessary to accurately determine the form of the disease, as well as to identify its causes in order to eliminate them.
Timely therapy will give a good effect in terms of restoring immunity after such a serious illness.
This ailment is classified as more complex, so an integrated approach is needed here.
Physiotherapeutic methods that are an important part of the treatment course include:
- Ultraviolet light therapy.
- Laser treatment.
- Ozone therapy.
- Magnet therapy.
Drug therapy includes taking such pharmacological agents:
- Antihistamines – Aerius, Tavegyl, Claritin. They relieve swelling, help with painful itching.
- Anti-inflammatory and antiseptics – Chlorhexidine.
- Glucocorticosteroids – Hydrocortisone, Prednisolone, Betadine, Chloramphenicol/Hydrocortisone ointment, Medrol.
- From skin rash – Locoid cream.
- Immunomodulators – to stabilize the immune system.
While the secondary infection is in place, it is needed to take into account an important point – treatment has to be aimed at the causes of the disease, not on the consequences. Initially, the primary disease is treated.
Folk medicine can be invaluable in alleviating the general condition of the patient. However, no matter how harmless these recommendations were, the doctor has the final word. The self-treatment of adolescents and children is especially dangerous because, besides the symptomatic therapy, remedies are needed to strengthen the body’s immunity.
Gruel from raw potatoes, which is applied for 20 minutes to the sore spot eliminates itching, relieves swelling and hyperemia. After the procedure, rinse the place with warm water and blot with a dry sterile cloth.
Creamy wort ointment
First, you should prepare a half a cup of boiling water and 1 tablespoon of the plant. Set the mixture for 10 minutes. Then put 50 grams (0.11 lb) of oil and mix to a creamy state. A thin layer of homemade ointment is well absorbed and gives a delightful healing effect.
Squeezed from the fresh plant of celandine juice is diluted with water in the proportion of 1:2. Affected areas are treated with a cotton swab soaked in juice. It can be used in the form of lotions and compresses.
Therapeutic water procedures based on periwinkle decoction are good for adult patients with viral dermatitis. Put 1 full tablespoon of inflorescences in a glass of boiling water for 10 minutes. After this, cool the decoction completely, strain it and pour into the bath. Prepare two servings. The second one is used for lotions. The procedure needs to be done within a month, during this time the disease will completely retreat.
It is quite difficult to prevent viral dermatitis judging by the causes and sources of this disease. But it is quite likely to alleviate the condition and prevent complications. To minimize skin infection, you should follow the next recommendations:
- Do not contact carriers and patients with viral diseases.
- Strictly comply with the hygienic rules of care for your skin.
- Accustom yourself to a healthy lifestyle (regular exercises, healthy food, positive emotions, rejection of bad habits).
- At the first signals hinting at viral dermatitis, immediately go to a dermatologist.
- Timely vaccination against viral diseases.
- Take measures to restore metabolism.
- Applying fasting days allow the body to clear itself of toxins.
It is enough to carefully understand the causes of the disease for you to determine the preventive measures.
Вирусный дерматит на фото:
It is worth recalling that the one who will turn to a specialist in time and will not heal by methods prompted by random people is insured against complications. A positive result and an easy deliverance await those who strictly comply with all the prescriptions of the treatment complex. Otherwise, a person neglecting medical care, blithely relating to his health, is not expected to have very pleasant consequences, like:
Negative manifestations after suffering a viral illness include:
- Meningitis is the medulla infection, which can cause inflammation in the cerebral cortex.
- Sepsis is most often caused by Staphylococcus aureus, it rapidly affects the body during self-treatment or in the complete absence of drug therapy.
- The skin loses its ability to regenerate, does not perform protective functions.
- In the case of epidermal necrosis, the skin dies off, the ability of restoration is lost forever.
Based on the above conclusions, it becomes obvious that the predictions may be different. In people with a heightened sense of responsibility, they are quite favorable. After all, they know that acute viral dermatitis can become chronic and be accompanied by relapses throughout life.